Your personal life, professional life and creative life are all intertwined. This year, my Patriotic DIY projects were inspired by my oldest daughter, Nora. Nora (age 6) has recently expressed an interest in learning how to sew. So, we have been working on some basic stitch types and projects at home, like weaving on a loom and needlepoint. Her desire for learning a new craft, inspired one of our two Patriotic projects this year- woven placemats.
The other project that we are sharing in this post is how to create custom DIY spray painted fabric napkins! I hope you love both. Keep scrolling for the simple how-to and supplies list needed to create both DIY Patriotic projects.
DIY Spray Painted Napkins
- White Cotton Napkins
- Fabric Spray Paint
- Foam Stickers in your Designed Shape or Design (or sheets of foam sticker paper to create your own pattern)
- Using foam sticker shapes or DIY shapes created from foam sticker sheets, create your pattern on a crisp white cotton napkin. For our DIY star spangled napkins, we used an assortment of foam sticker stars to create our pattern.
2. Using your selected fabric spray paint color, spray color moving from side to side on the cotton napkin until your desired color has been achieved.
3. Once the fabric spray paint has dried, remove and discard the foam pieces to uncover a white pattern on your cotton napkins. One of my favorite things about this project is that every napkin will be truly unique. Have fun and experiment with different foam shapes and color combinations of fabric spray paint.
DIY Woven Placemat
- Cane Webbing (cut to 13×18″)
- Large Eye Plastic Sewing Needle
- Trim a piece of cane webbing to your desired size (13×18″ is shown). Keep in mind, that you can trim the edges once you have completed your yarn stiching.
- Starting in the center of your cane webbing piece, pull an 18″ piece of colored yarn through one of the holes, leaving about 1.5 inches of slack. The slack is what you will use to secure the yarn as you begin to stitch. Note: There are 2 different stitch types that you could use for this design; weaving (which is simply over under in a straight line) or an overcast stictch (working diagonally in a looping pattern- shown in our design).
- Begin stitching down your selected row until you reach the end, then work in the opposite direction following the same stitch pattern. We completed 7 rows of a hemstitch shown, but you could make your stripe wider or narrower to achieve your desired look.
This DIY woven placemat and spray painted napkin when combined, created a playful deconstructed pattern that is perfect for Patriotic holidays! I hope that our simple DIY projects inspire you to create something special for your own upcoming events!
For more Patriotic party ideas and DIY projects, don’t miss these posts: