I LOVE a great DIY project that offers BIG imact when entertaining. I have always been intrigued by the marbling technique, so I decided to give it a whirl with some disposable wine glasses for the upcoming patriotic holidays. DIY marbled wine glasses are definitely not as hard as they may appear! Keep scrolling for the simple how-to tutorial.
DIY Marbled Wine Glasses
- Acrylic or Glass Wine Glasses
- 2-3 Acrylic Paint Colors
- Plastic Mixing Bowls or Cups
- Marbling Medium from Testors Craft
Step 1: Clean your Wine Glasses
Wipe down your selected wine glass to ensure that you are working with a clean surface area. Allow the wine glasses to air dry.
Step 2: Select 2-3 colors of acrylic craft paint.
We chose classic red, navy blue and white for our patriotic glassware. When choosing acrylic paint colors, consider the following combination suggestions:
- Monochromatic Colors: Choose 2-3 colors within a specific color palette; blues, reds, greens or pink.
- Complementary Colors: Colors that are opposite one another on the color wheel are considered “complementary”. Consider red/green, pink/green, blue/orange or purple/orange.
- Analgous Colors: Choose 2-3 colors that are adjacent to one another on the color wheel. For example, blues & purples, oranges and yellows, or greens and blues.
- Themed Color Combinations: Holidays are a great reason to craft! So, if you are working on Christmas crafts, mix reds and greens, or pinks and reds for Valentine’s Day or red, white and blue for the 4th of July.
Ultimately, have fun when choosing colors for your DIY marbled wine glasses! The sky is the limit for mixing colors and developing unique marbling patterns each and every time you apply the paint.
Step 3: Mix the Marbling Medium with Acrylic Paints
To create your marbling mixtures, pour equal parts acrylic paint and marbling medium in mixing bowls or cups. Each color will be mixed separately, in its own container. Using a plastic spoon, mix each paint color gently, to allow the marbling medium to pair with the acrylic craft paint. Once you have mixed each of your selected paint colors, you are ready to apply them to your wine glasses.
Step 4: Apply the Marbled Paint to your Wine Glasses
To apply the marbled paint, I would recommend pouring each of the colors into a disposable tray for application. Typically, you would pour the marbled paints onto your chosen item, but with wine glasses, this would create a dripped look versus a marbled look as shown. Once you have poured each of your paint colors into a disposable tray, gently tilt the tray back and forth until you have achieved your desired marbled look. Then, dip the bottom and sides of your glass into the mixed paint mixture. After you have dipped each glass, you will need to continuously turn it to remove excess paint from the glass, monitoring the movement of the paint with each turn. After a few minutes, and once you have noticed that the paint has stopped sliding on the glass, you can set it upside down to dry. Please note: if you turn the glass upside down before the paint has fully set, it will drip and you will need to start over with a new glass.
We hope that you love this DIY marbled wine glass idea as much as we do, and we cannot wait to see what you create.
For more ideas for applying this technique, don’t miss our DIY marbled plate chargers project!