Teacher Appreciation week is the perfect time to shower your child’s teacher with love, so we are sharing this colorful DIY painted terra cotta planter with FREE printable today! I love the idea of a simple, thoughtful gesture for each teacher that will last beyond the end of the school year. Our fun video tutorial & steps outlined below, along with the FREE teacher appreciation gift tag at the end of this post, will provide you with everything you need to create your own homemade gifts.
We can’t wait to see what you create for teacher appreciation week, or end of year gifts! We have outlined everything you need below, simple instructions and the FREE printable geometric design and teacher gift tag to complete your project.
• Terra cotta pots in your chosen size(s); there are a variety of different sizes available at either your local craft store or home improvement store
• Acrylic Paint from Testors Craft in your selected colors; we used 3 different colors in variation for our samples
• Masking tape
• Paint brushes in an assortment of sizes
• Tracing paper
• Standard #2 pencil
• Charcoal pencil
• Gum eraser
1. To replicate the colored rim of the terra cotta planter, carefully attach a piece of masking tape along the underside of the rim, running your finger along the edge to press out any air bubbles.
2. Paint the rim with your selected acrylic paint from Testors Craft. We used White, Fuchsia, Paradise and Plum acrylic craft colors from Testors Craft in our designs.
3. While the painted rim is still damp, remove the masking tape to reveal a cleanly painted edge.
5. Place the traced charcoal design face down onto the terra cotta pot, then using a #2 pencil, trace carefully along the printed design’s edge. When you remove the tracing paper, the design will have transferred onto the terra cotta pot.
6. Use masking tape to segment each portion of the design, applying to all 4 sides of the space you desire to paint for a clean edge once completed.
7. Paint one section at a time, removing the masking tape while still slightly wet.
9. Download your printable teacher appreciation gift tag file located at the end of this post, then trim each card using a paper cutter or scissors.
Don’t forget to download your FREE printable geometric patterns and teacher appreciation gift tags below. For more ideas, be sure to search our site for “teacher appreciation” and shop our store for personalized teacher gift tags.