Learn how to make a paper cactus centerpiece using your Silhouette cutting machine with our tutorial below.
Is anyone else in love with the retro tablescape trend?!? I am so excited to see some of my favorite color palettes and imagery on the rise. And, I was even more excited to put together a retro terrazzo tablescape, complete with DIY painted details and these fun 3D paper cactus centerpieces. Keep reading for the simple how-to!
3D Paper Cactus Centerpiece Craft
Cardstock (we used turquoise and 2 shades of pink)
Silhouette Cameo Cutting Machine
3D Cactus Images from the Silhouette Design Store
Rock Filler (we used crushed white rocks)
1. Select, purchase and download your chosen 3D cactus image files from the Silhouette online store.
2. As you create your design in Silhouette Studio, click “Library”. All of your available images will be shown. If they aren’t showing, click “Show All Designs”. Next, choose your recently purchased 3D cactus image by double clicking. It will now appear in your design space.
3. Now that you are in your design space, you can reposition the image by clicking and dragging the entire image grouping to your desired location. You can also re-size the image by moving the double arrow found at each corner of your image; decreasing or increasing as needed.
4. Once you have finalized your desired image sizing, double check that your settings to the right of the image are correct. Scan to ensure that you have selected the correct cutting mat size (i.e. 12×12) and paper orientation (i.e. landscape or portrait).
5. When you are ready to cut, click “Send” from the top of your screen. This action will direct you to a screen with options for cutting. From this screen, before clicking the final “send” function, scan to be sure that you have selected the correct paper type, blade and speed.
6. Once you are satisfied with your cut settings, check to make sure that you have aligned your cardstock onto the cutting mat, and that mat has been loaded into your machine. Double check, then click “Send” at the bottom of your screen. This will activate your machine to cut the design selected.
7. After the design has been cut, choose “Unload” on your Silhouette Cameo, which will prompt the machine to release the cutting mat and your designs. Gently remove the cut designs from the cutting mat. You will have 2-3 cactus pieces, depending upon the design purchased.
8. Align your cactus pieces together, using the pre-cut slits to form a 3D design. Use clear glue to add reinforcement to the seams where needed.
9. Center your 3D paper cactus pieces into your chosen containers, anchoring as needed with glue dots (our pro-tip). Adding 3D glue dots to the base of you container offer stability for the paper cactus design. Next, surround the base of the 3D paper cactus with crushed rock or your chosen container filler.
For our 3D paper cactus centerpieces, we chose asymmetrical terra cotta pots that we covered in a quick coat of orange spray paint to complement our tablescape. To keep the colors modern and streamlined, we surrounded the turquoise paper cactus centerpieces with crushed white rock. We also played around with another concept, mixing bold pink cardstock with subtle green containers and the same crushed white rock.
The sky is literally the limit for color combinations, container selections and the final outcome for these 3D paper cactus centerpieces.
Don’t miss these 3D paper cactus centerpieces in their glory as part of our mid century modern terrazzo tablescape!
For another fun paper craft, don’t miss the following post:
And, for more DIY centerpiece ideas, these posts are full of ideas: