This post is sponsored by Babbleboxx. All ideas and opinions are my own.
What are your favorite summer side dishes?? In the heat of the Houston summer, I like to reach for fresh, colorful dishes to pair with proteins from the barbeque. Recipes that can be prepared earlier in the day offer an added bonus. Today, I am sharing 3 simple summer side dishes that are vibrant, delicious and that can be prepared ahead of any gathering, allowing you to spend more time with your loved ones.
My family loves coleslaw. In fact, I have a handful of coleslaw recipes that I rotate through during summertime. But, one of our all-time favorites is this colorful coleslaw. My secret ingredient is Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar Blends, the Citrus Ginger flavoring. Ginger is the star of this citrus infused vinegar blend, offering the perfect amount of acidity to this coleslaw side dish. Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar Blends can also be added along with 2 tablespoons of hot/cold water to your favorite smoothies or dressings. Or, they can be enjoyed as a single shot of health, added to your morning routine. Use code BABBLE10 on bragg.com for 10% off your order.
- 1/2 Head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 Mini sweet peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Milk (2% or whole)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar Blends Citrus Ginger
- Combine the cabbage, sweet peppers, and carrots in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, milk, sugar, and vinegar together. Season to taste using salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Vegetable Platter with Garlic Hummus Dip
I love a great party platter!! In fact, colorful platters are almost always part of any summer gathering we host. Whether served as an appetizer or side dish, hummus alongside summer vegetables is always a crowd pleaser. One of my favorite hummus recipes highlights bold flavors of garlic. To keep prep time to a minimum, I reach for Mighty Sesame Organic Tahini. I just give the bottle a mighty shake, then add it to my hummus ingredients before blending together. It is my go-to tahini brand, as it’s organic, gluten free and Non-GMO which gives me confidence when serving it to my friends and family.
- 2 heads of garlic
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15oz canned chickpeas, unsalted and drained
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice 1 large lemon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Mighty Sesame Organic Tahini
- paprika as garnish
- Add all of the ingredients into a food processor, then puree until smooth.
Add paprika as garnish to taste.
Greek Chickpea Salad
Who doesn’t love a great salad!?! This quick to prepare salad is full of vibrant summer ingredients. And, the best thing is, that it takes just 5 minutes to prepare!! One of my quick preparation secrets is Ready to Serve Brown Rice & Quinoa. This rice blend combines the crunchiness of quinoa with the chewiness or brown rice. You simply heat it in the microwave for 1 minute, and it’s ready to enjoy or to include in your favorite recipe.
Greek Chickpea Salad
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 garlic clove, grated
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1 cup mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup Minute Ready to Serve Brown Rice & Quinoa
- 1/3 cup canned chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic and oregano in a small bowl.
- Combine mixed salad greens and remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Toss the salad greens and vegetables with the salad dressing. Enjoy.
You definitely don’t have to sacrifice amazing flavors when choosing quick and easy side dishes!! I hope these 3 simple summer side recipes offer you some fresh ideas for summer entertaining.