Is there a basketball lover in your house?? Then, a basketball theme is a must-plan for their next birthday party. We are sharing our favorite basketball party tips, snack ideas, favor suggestions and more. Keep scrolling for more photo inspiration, ideas and our favorite basketball party supplies.
When throwing a basketball party, why not make basketball the focal point of the entire dessert table?! We made a statement by choosing this large basketball cardboard standee as our table backdrop. Not only is the design amazing, but it covers the entire surface of our table and couldn’t be easier to set up.
To balance the color and oversize backdrop statement, we chose a simple white pleated tableskirt for the table, and decorated it with a simple draped banner that we secured with straight pins.
Once you have designed the statement pieces for your basketball party, you can start to work on the dessert designs.
Basketball Food & Beverage Options
For children’s birthday parties, I generally recommend offering guests a few snack options in addition to cake/dessert. When possible, I chose items that work with the overall theme and add personalized labels.
Some of my favorite basketball party snack options are:
- “March Madness Munch”- Combine your child’s favorite bulk snacks into individual bags and add fun labels for a great, easy to enjoy snack.
- “Slam Dunks”- Fill personalized bags with cheese balls for a snack with a pun.
• Sports Drinks- Sports and sports drinks go hand in hand. Personalize your child’s favorite sports drinks with themed labels.
• “Water Break”- For a water station, simply add a label and set out basketball cups.
For your basketball party, consider adding 2-4 activities to keep kids engaged throughout the event. Here are a few of our favorite basketball party activities:
- Open Play- Set up a regulation basketball hoop and balls for kids to enjoy. Or, hold your party at a park with a basketball court.
- Free Throw Contest- Hold a short contest for kids and offer prizes to those with the most free throws in a row.
- Basketball Pinata- Who doesn’t love a pinata!?! Fill it full of goodies and watch the fun unfold.
- Autograph Station- One of the best gifts for the birthday boy or girl is an autographed ball from their friends. All you need is a ball and assorted sharpie colors.
Party Favor Ideas
When choosing party favors, consider whether the item(s) are useful, their overall cost and the age of the recipients. Choose items that are age appropriate and when possible, relevant to the party theme. Here are some of my favorite basketball favor ideas:
- Regulation Size Basketballs- When purchased in bulk, they are quite cost effective.
- Basketball Tote Bags- Draw string bags are always a hit with kids!
- Basketball Sugar Cookies- For something sweet, consider basketball or referee sugar cookies that are individually wrapped or in themed paper bags.
We hope you are ready to score big at your upcoming basketball birthday party!!