During the holiday season, I always find myself searching for simple, yet tasty hostess gift ideas; things to keep on hand or to make in bulk for holiday parties, neighbor gifts, teacher gifts and for colleagues.
These silly moose mugs and delicious treats are sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face!
Moose Munch Recipe
Author: Erin Browne
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1.5 cups nuts of choice (peanuts, pecans, cashews, etc)
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1.5 tsp shortening
- Preheat oven to 250F
- Spread popped popcorn and nuts into a large roasting pan, or divide between two pans.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue boiling for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Pour warm mixture over popcorn and nuts and stir well so that the popcorn is coated.
- Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer popcorn to wax paper, don’t break into chunks.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, melt chocolate chips with shortening in the microwave in 30 second intervals on 50% power, stirring after each one. Alternately, you can melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Using a fork or spoon, generously drizzle chocolate over the popcorn and let stand 3-4 hours until chocolate is set. Break into pieces and enjoy!