Beloved candy canes; it is time to see you go!!!
If your house is overflowing with leftover candy canes, you are not alone! After the holidays, I seem to have endless piles of candy canes in all shapes and sizes.
Here are some simple ideas and recipes which will help you re-purpose those pesky canes into something delicious:
1. Make a candy cane Valentine’s Day card 2. Striped Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1/3 c oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c mini chocolate chips
Melted white chocolate for dipping
Crushed candy canes
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips. Scoop the batter into small balls and place onto the lined cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Press down slightly to flatten. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Drizzle with white chocolate and then dip into crushed candy canes. Let cool.
3. Use them as-is as coffee or hot cocoa stirrers.
4. Crush into a fine powder and line martini glass rims for a fun festive drink
6. Create heart cupcake toppers, perfect for Valentine’s Day
7. White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies
8. White chocolate peppermint popcorn
16 oz white chocolate
1 c finely crushed peppermints (food processor works wonders)
4 quarts popped popcorn
Slowly melt the white chocolate using either the microwave or a double boiler; constantly stirring. Stir ½ cup of the crushed peppermints into the white chocolate. Pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn in a large bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle with more crushed peppermints.
9. Peppermint whipped cream– yummy as a topping for cupcakes or cake
10. Candy Cane Cupcakes